Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deregister iMessage online 

Issues messaging non-iphone users. Even got a new phone with a new sim to see if it would fix the problem and it has not. I have contacted my provider as well as apple support and no one can figure out why my iphone can’t text non-iphone users

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 4:09 PM

There are no actual settings on the iPhone to send SMS to non-iOS users. That is all handled by your carrier. The closest settings that you find for this is the MMS setting in Messages. The SMS setting there is only valid if you are attempting to send an iMessage and it will not send, it can be sent as an SMS if you turn on that switch. A true MMS also requires cellular data to be turned on. Otherwise, the carrier is in complete control of SMS/MMS. Sounds like they need to reset your account provisioning and start over, but they are the only ones that can fix it. They need to make sure that you have the correct carrier file on your device, since that controls the APNs necessary for connection to their network.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 4:09 PM in response to Krisyla

There are no actual settings on the iPhone to send SMS to non-iOS users. That is all handled by your carrier. The closest settings that you find for this is the MMS setting in Messages. The SMS setting there is only valid if you are attempting to send an iMessage and it will not send, it can be sent as an SMS if you turn on that switch. A true MMS also requires cellular data to be turned on. Otherwise, the carrier is in complete control of SMS/MMS. Sounds like they need to reset your account provisioning and start over, but they are the only ones that can fix it. They need to make sure that you have the correct carrier file on your device, since that controls the APNs necessary for connection to their network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.