Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icon description too short

I'm using OS Big Sur (11.6.2) and made the mistake of opening Time Machine. When I closed it, the desktop icons all rearranged themself on the right side of the screen AND drastically reduced their description to just one line (11 characters max), which is very limiting. I've tried everything I can think of to go back to a two-line description (prior to the 11.6.2 update), or at least add more characters. I can rearrange the icons back to where they were before (which is a pain), but I can't figure out how to lengthen the icon's description.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 7:21 PM

6 replies

Jan 15, 2022 8:31 PM in response to MacBook51

MacBook51 wrote:

I'm using OS Big Sur (11.6.2) and made the mistake of opening Time Machine. When I closed it, the desktop icons all rearranged themself on the right side of the screen AND drastically reduced their description to just one line (11 characters max), which is very limiting. I've tried everything I can think of to go back to a two-line description (prior to the 11.6.2 update), or at least add more characters. I can rearrange the icons back to where they were before (which is a pain), but I can't figure out how to lengthen the icon's description.

If you are on the Desktop...Command J opens the View Options.

You can make some changes here.

Also see Stacks:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/organize-your-desktop-with-stacks-mh35846/mac

Jan 18, 2022 1:35 PM in response to MacBook51

Thank you, but I've changed the size of the icon multiple times using the View Options you describe. The wording (number of characters) under each icon becomes fewer and fewer as the icon decreases in size, to the point of being meaningless. For example, setting the desktop icon size to 44 X 44 produces an icon for a Pictures folder with this "Pi...res" under it, which tells you nothing about the folder. I'm trying to get a small icon and a reasonable number of descriptive characters.

Desktop icon description too short

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.