Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage

How can I choose what to back up in iCloud storage?

do I really need more than 50GBs

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 10:41 AM

Your iCloud backup will always include all of the information listed in "what does iCloud backup." Whether the backup includes some items (photos, etc.) is dependent on whether you use iCloud photos and other services. For example, if you use iCloud photos, your pictures will not be in your backup as they are already synced into the cloud.

The purpose of the backup is to be able to restore your device pretty much as is should you need to erase your current device, get a new device, etc. If you have significant information on your device, you'll have larger backups requiring more space in iCloud.

You can, of course, backup your device to your computer instead. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 10:41 AM in response to NardoQuestions

Your iCloud backup will always include all of the information listed in "what does iCloud backup." Whether the backup includes some items (photos, etc.) is dependent on whether you use iCloud photos and other services. For example, if you use iCloud photos, your pictures will not be in your backup as they are already synced into the cloud.

The purpose of the backup is to be able to restore your device pretty much as is should you need to erase your current device, get a new device, etc. If you have significant information on your device, you'll have larger backups requiring more space in iCloud.

You can, of course, backup your device to your computer instead. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Jan 16, 2022 4:43 PM in response to NardoQuestions

There is only one iCloud. You have 5GB of free space and can purchase additional storage as needed. iCloud syncs your content across your devices so that photos, documents, and data remain synchronized between iPhones, iPads, and Mac. Additionally, some content is available at iCloud.com. When you backup to iCloud, you're simply storing your backup in that location (you could also backup to a computer). The guide below is the intro which should help.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/introduction-to-icloud-mm74e822f6de/icloud

Jan 16, 2022 10:27 AM in response to muguy

I’ve read the iCloud instructions and I thought I turned off everything except contacts and photos. My phone still tells me there wasn’t a full back up. The iCloud verbiage seems to be intended to create uncertainty. I only need to back up photos and contacts. A better instruction set would give some real steps to stop backing us items I do not need.

Jan 16, 2022 5:10 PM in response to NardoQuestions

You can access any of your files at iCloud.com or on your connected device if you sync with iCloud.

If you go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud you'll see a list of items that you can sync with iCloud. Some of those items are then available at iCloud.com (eg. photos, files, reminders, notes). Other items that you can toggle on/off sync data across devices (Messages, stocks, wallet, etc.) and are not directly accessible.

That's different from a backup; which backs up your phone contents but generally ignores items already in iCloud.

iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.