Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy an external Time Machine HD to an external SSD.

I would like to copy my external Time Machine backup on a HD to an external SSD. How can I fix this in a simple way?

Regards Jos

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 11:36 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I think you have overthought this issue. When you get the new Mac, I would use Migration Assistant to transfer the data I wanted transferred to the new computer. It's easy to do. Carefully read and follow the instructions. Then you can set use Time Machine to do its backups to the new disk. M.A. will not delete any of the data from the old machine. you must do that yourself. I hope this is helpful.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 11:36 AM in response to jozo_zoutje

Thank you for the explanation. I think you have overthought this issue. When you get the new Mac, I would use Migration Assistant to transfer the data I wanted transferred to the new computer. It's easy to do. Carefully read and follow the instructions. Then you can set use Time Machine to do its backups to the new disk. M.A. will not delete any of the data from the old machine. you must do that yourself. I hope this is helpful.

Copy an external Time Machine HD to an external SSD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.