Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer photos from an iPhone with a broken screen to Mac

Hello,

I am wondering how to transfer photos and other files from an iPhone to my mac when the iPhone in question has a broken screen. I am not able to access the screen, although the phone is still alive. I have tried to use Siri's voice command option (to trust the MacBook) to no avail. I was wondering if there was an application I could use or if it's possible at all.

More information:

• the phone hasn't trusted this MacBook before
  • I don't have anything on the cloud
  • the iPhone still makes a noise when I charge it, and the power button still works
  • The touchscreen is completely broken, and I am not able to view the iPhones screen
  • I have a mac and all the nessisary cables for a regular data transfer

I am happy to provide more information if nessisary. Any help is appericated.

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 1:17 PM

Are you sure you didn’t do ANY of these ways of preserving photos and videos?

• Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud
  • emailed, texted or messaged the photos to friends or family
  • iCloud photo sync
  • iCloud backup
  • iTunes backup
  • Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Apple Photo Stream
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

A final option is if you synced your photos to iCloud, you have a Mac, and you use Time Machine to back up your Mac automatically, you can open Time Machine and restore the photo library to an earlier date. To do this on your Mac open Finder, then click on Pictures in the sidebar and launch Time Machine. Go to a time before the photos were deleted and restore

Photos Library.photoslibrary. (If you had ever changed the name of the photo library restore that file instead).

If the answer is no to all of the above your photos are gone forever.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 1:17 PM in response to roman_apple2

Are you sure you didn’t do ANY of these ways of preserving photos and videos?

• Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud
  • emailed, texted or messaged the photos to friends or family
  • iCloud photo sync
  • iCloud backup
  • iTunes backup
  • Transfer your photos to your computer via USB cable
  • Apple Photo Stream
  • Sync to Google Photos
  • Sync to some other photo archiving service such as Shutterfly
  • Sync to Dropbox
  • Sync to box.com
  • Sync to Microsoft OneDrive
  • Sync to Amazon Photos
  • back up to Livedrive
  • Backup to any other backup or archiving service

A final option is if you synced your photos to iCloud, you have a Mac, and you use Time Machine to back up your Mac automatically, you can open Time Machine and restore the photo library to an earlier date. To do this on your Mac open Finder, then click on Pictures in the sidebar and launch Time Machine. Go to a time before the photos were deleted and restore

Photos Library.photoslibrary. (If you had ever changed the name of the photo library restore that file instead).

If the answer is no to all of the above your photos are gone forever.

Jan 16, 2022 2:53 PM in response to deggie

I got that exact "Unlock iPhone to use accessories" message on my iPhone 7 today before it would connect to my Mac. Then when I tried connecting again after disconnecting it didn't need to unlock to connect. I never really though of a Lightning cable and/or computer as a USB accessory though.

However, I never really thought of why it happens and looked up what my situation was. It's about USB Restriction Mode (which I've heard about in passing), where the default is off and I've never changed it. The message under Face ID (or Touch ID) & Passcode indicates that it's one hour before unlock is required to connect again. Won't matter to the OP anyways, but I thought I'd mention it since it might be useful for someone.

Using USB accessories with iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support
Allow access to USB accessories
You can allow your iOS or iPadOS device to always access USB accessories, for example, if you use a USB assistive device to enter your passcode on your locked iPhone. Many assistive devices will automatically turn on the setting to allow USB devices the first time they’re connected.

If you don’t connect to USB accessories regularly, you might need to turn on this setting manually.

In Settings, go to Face ID & Passcode or Touch ID & Passcode, and turn on USB Accessories under Allow Access When Locked.

Jan 16, 2022 1:15 PM in response to roman_apple2

What model iPhone?

It used to be possible for older iOS devices if they were previously trusted (I did that a bunch of times on a totally trashed iPad Mini 2), but more recent versions of iOS don't initially connect without the device being unlocked. You'll get a message saying "Unlock iPhone to use accessories" which you currently won't be able to do.

You'll need to get the front screen assembly replaced. And if there's something like extensive case damage Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will only offer a replacement device. And even if they can replace the screen alone on the same device, there are some caveats, including that Apple doesn't guarantee that data will still be available or even that you get back the same device. They could reset the device for any number of reasons or even offer a complete replacement exchange in lieu of fixing your particular device. I have a preference to go with Apple and not third party repair, but that's something to consider as a possibility if the data on the device is more valuable to you than a completely OEM device.

How to transfer photos from an iPhone with a broken screen to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.