Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Phone 11 (SE) charges froma wall adapter, but won't charge from a power bank.

I Phone 11 (SE) charges from a wall adapter, but won't charge from a power bank. Suggestions please?

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 2:08 PM

My guess is the power bank is not providing ample power. Check the specifications for the power bank. It needs to provide at least 5watts of output via the USB to lightning cable to be able to charge the iPhone.

13 replies

Jan 16, 2022 9:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:
My guess is the power bank is not providing ample power. Check the specifications for the power bank. It needs to provide at least 5watts of output via the USB to lightning cable to be able to charge the iPhone.

I don't believe there's any minimum per se. There shouldn't be a problem charging any iPhone off of a 0.5A/2.5W USB-A port on a standard PC (done it before), but it's just going to be really, really slow.

Jan 17, 2022 9:51 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:
Thanks, but I would still believe it may have something to do with the power bank's ability to supply power, since the device will change with a wall adapter. It was more to get the specs of the power adapter and didn't get them.

Sure. As long as whatever it is supplies some current it's going to at least show that it's connected to power, but not necessarily using while charging, if it needs more current than the power supply puts out. The other possibility is that something is damaged like a Lightning cable, but that usually results in the "USB Accessory Not Supported" message on the iPhone.

But the OP just clarified that it was 2A, which should be clearly enough for any iPhone. Must be a problem with it like a dead battery or even a damaged connection somewhere.

I Phone 11 (SE) charges froma wall adapter, but won't charge from a power bank.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.