Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Failed to open a session on the device"

So I have a HP Officejet 6500 Wireless all-in-one, and up till about a week ago, the scanner was working normally; I would go into Print & Fax preferences, click on the printer, then the Scan tab, then "Open Scanner". It would open up the scanner window, say "Connecting to scanner" or something like that, and then give me an overview and all the options. Now, however, whenever I open up the scanner window, it says "Trying to open scanner session..." and then "Failed to open a session on the device". I've restarted the printer, my computer, tried to open the scanner window from Preview, even deleted the printer and re-added it. But it still gives me "Failed to open a session on the device".

Connecting to the printer with USB does the exact same thing.

Thanks.

13" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 6:08 PM

Try a reset of the printing system.

How to Reset the Printing System

1. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Move your mouse over the Printers list
3. Hold down the Control button and click the mouse (or right click if supported).
4. Click "Reset printing system ..."
5. Restart your Mac

This will remove your printer and scanner queues but not your drivers. So you will only need to add your printer and scanner queues again.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2010 6:08 PM in response to liam27

Try a reset of the printing system.

How to Reset the Printing System

1. Open System Preferences > Print & Fax
2. Move your mouse over the Printers list
3. Hold down the Control button and click the mouse (or right click if supported).
4. Click "Reset printing system ..."
5. Restart your Mac

This will remove your printer and scanner queues but not your drivers. So you will only need to add your printer and scanner queues again.

Oct 23, 2010 7:21 AM in response to liam27

Hello,

I am facing the same problem with my HP Photosmart C5380 All-in-One.

I uninstalled all the Hp CD Package because it is not compatible with snow leopard.
I restarted my Mac, and tried to scan via image capture and Printer&Fax. The same message appeared in both programs. "Trying to open scanner session..." and then " Failed to open a session on scanner device".
I then did a reset of the printing system and restarted my Mac.
When try to scan again, the same message appears...

Thank you

Dec 23, 2010 8:40 AM in response to Walkurie

Hello,

I just got a new iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and I have the same problem with a DeskJet F4480. I tried the procedure described above: reset printer system and restarting my desktop. The printer works, but the scanner gives me the same error as before: failed to open a session on the device. Between Apple pointing me to HP and HP demanding a fee, I am ready to toss this machine in the trash. Did you ever solve your problem?

Thanks

--Chris

"Failed to open a session on the device"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.