Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Media folder location won't "stick"

I have had this ongoing issue with iTunes. Since my C drive has limited space, I install iTunes to C drive, then go into Advanced Preferences and change the iTunes Media Folder Location to F\iTunes. However, EVERY TIME I open iTunes, this has reverted back to the original C:\users\xxxx\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media folder.

Any knowledge on why this happens?

If iTunes offers the ability to change this location, why does it not work.

I am no master Apple iTunes wizard, but think I am fairly savvy. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 6:15 AM

If the library was working correctly on the external drive before then normally you would press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes to get an option to choose or create a library, click choose, and select your library database in F:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl, rather than modifying the media folder.

If you don't have an up to date version of your database on the F: drive see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2022 6:15 AM in response to schwandog

If the library was working correctly on the external drive before then normally you would press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes to get an option to choose or create a library, click choose, and select your library database in F:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl, rather than modifying the media folder.

If you don't have an up to date version of your database on the F: drive see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community.

tt2

Jan 17, 2022 5:55 AM in response to schwandog

There is an ongoing bug with iTunes for Windows that, for some users at least, seems to prevent it saving the media folder location when it is anything other than the standard path of an iTunes Media folder in the same folder as the .itl file. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for background. Where is the library now? Where would you like to move it to? I'd generally recommend the root of a drive with plenty of room if it isn't going to be inside the usual location of User's Music.

You should allow the iTunes installer to place the application in the standard path. It is the library, and potentially iOS device backups, that take up room.

tt2

Jan 17, 2022 5:54 AM in response to schwandog

One thing I forgot to mention (if it has any relevance to this issue), I have tried changing the install location at the beginning of installation to another drive, and again, it will not accept this, forces it back to the C: location.

I have also used Revo Plus uninstaller to ensure ALL files and directories (all of iTunes) is removed from the system before re-installing it.

Jan 17, 2022 6:08 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2, Thank you kindly for the assist.

I know I had this issue several years ago and was on chat with Apple Chat and they resolved it, but for the life of me I can't remember what we did.

Hard to believe there is an Apple bug right? (sarcasm)

I did let it install to the designated/standard file location of C:\users\xxxx\Music\iTunes\ and the library stores in that sequence. I am trying to put it in my external Seagate 8TB media drive which is F:\iTunes\Media Library.

I found an old string related to this of

I keep my iTunes music on an external HD also. When I set up iTunes, all I had to do was choose File - Add Folder to Library and point it to the correct folder.

Just make sure you uncheck the box Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library, which is found under Edit - Preferences - Advanced. It's that simple.

by keef00, Aug 15 2010...I'm trying this now and it seems to be moving everything....the true test will be if it actually stays in the F location I designate.

Jon

iTunes Media folder location won't "stick"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.