Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extra "r" Characters in Contact Notes - with Google contacts

I started to see extra "r" characters appear at the end of many lines in my Contact Notes on my iPhone and iPad. I sync my contacts on those two devices with Gmail Contacts. On my iPad and iPhone, the extra "r" characters appear at the end of the line where I have hit the return (enter) key. I don't see the extra "r" characters in my browser when I look at my Google Contact notes. I also have 3rd party software that syncs (Sync2) Google Contacts with Microsoft Outlook Contacts and the extra "r" characters are also not present in Microsoft Outlook Contact Notes. I only see the extra "r" characters when looking at my Contact Notes on my iPhone 12 Max Pro and iPad Pro. I started seeing the issue a couple of weeks ago when the iPhone and iPad were both running IOS14. Since that time, I have upgraded to IOS15 and the problem persists on both my iPhone and iPad. Any ideas why the Apple devices are inserting this extra "r" at the end of the line where I have hit the enter key. It is problematic. If I have put a period at the end of the line....the "r" will follow the period and it is easy to discern it is an added character. In other instances....I may have listed an account number or model number in my notes that is made up of numbers and letters without a period at the end....an added "r" makes it hard to discern if the "r" is part of the account number or model number or something that has been added in. Any ideas what is causing this issue and how I might resolve it?

Help!

someone else asked this question but no replies - driving me nuts! Thanks in advance.

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 6:43 AM

1 reply

Jan 19, 2022 8:02 AM in response to BDTM252

Greetings BDTM252, 

Apple Support Communities is a wonderful place for help. It sounds as though you’re adding notes to contact cards in the Contacts app. These notes appear correctly via the email providers website and via Outlook, but not via the Contacts app on your iPhone and iPad. 

We’re glad you had the opportunity to update iOS and iPadOS on your devices. That’s a fantastic troubleshooting step. Since there have been several updates to iOS and iPadOS 15 since the initial release, have you verified you’re running iOS and iPadOS 15.2.1? If not, let’s make sure you’re running the latest version. Those steps can be found in the following article for reference. 

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you’re running the latest version or the issue continues after updating, try erasing the note for that contact, then retyping the note. If you continue to have issues after those steps, reaching out to Apple would be the next recommended step. You can find their contact details via the Get Support website. 

Take care!

Extra "r" Characters in Contact Notes - with Google contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.