Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Startup Security Policy' — cannot go back to 'Full Security'

MacBook Air M1: in Recovery Mode, I started 'Startup Security Utility', and changed to 'Reduced Security' - 'Allow User Management …'. NO PROBLEMS here.

But when I try to switch back to 'Full Security', I get the Error Message:

'The operation couldn't be completed.(SDErrorDomain error 102.)'

Any ideas? Could I just ignore this for the time being, as I actually need 'Reduced Security'?

Cheers ;)

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 8:23 AM

You must boot up into One True Recovery (1TR) by shutting down then press and hold power button. You can't go there from restart. If you are getting into Recovery from a full shut down, I don't know why you are getting the error.

When you were running in Reduced Security, did you install any legacy kernel extensions? You might need to uninstall those before you can return to Full Security.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 8:23 AM in response to JoMek

You must boot up into One True Recovery (1TR) by shutting down then press and hold power button. You can't go there from restart. If you are getting into Recovery from a full shut down, I don't know why you are getting the error.

When you were running in Reduced Security, did you install any legacy kernel extensions? You might need to uninstall those before you can return to Full Security.

Jan 19, 2022 11:14 PM in response to JoMek

Wanted to quickly add this:

I had just done a FRESH INSTALL of macOS Monterey, and absolutely NO 3rd PARTY SOFTWARE had been installed, before I switched to 'Reduced Security' and was NOT able to switch back to 'Full Security'.

So, IMHO, this could potentially be some sort of bug in Monterey …

Jan 21, 2022 2:03 AM in response to Rarjacob

Thanks; that did the trick …

I was completely unaware that, apparently, the Mac needs to be connected to Apple (?) to revert to 'Full Security'.

If someone from Apple is reading this:

Maybe there could be some sort of hint in the error message (SDErrorDomain error 102.) that an Internet connection is needed …

Jan 21, 2022 2:49 AM in response to JoMek

(here's my final posting about this, for anyone reading this later on)

So, to sum up:

Recovery Mode → 'Startup Security Utility':

* if you want to go from 'Full Security' to 'Reduced Security', NO Internet connection is needed

* BUT, if you want to go back from 'Reduced Security' to 'Full Security', you DO need an Internet connection

'Startup Security Policy' — cannot go back to 'Full Security'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.