6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2010 3:05 PM by David M Brewer
blue4dolphin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
i am looking at getting an ipad but wondering if i plug in the accessory to attach a camera can i plug a usb stick in to this or a SD card with eg a word document on it to down load and open?

mac, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • dhaun Level 2 Level 2 (365 points)
    The Camera Connection Kit comes with two adapters: One that reads SD cards and another that provides an USB port. The latter is meant to attach a camera to it, but some people also got it to work with some USB card readers.

Having said that: All you can transfer that way are photos and videos, not word documents. For that, try DropBox or a similar service.
  • David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,270 points)
    You'll need to buy Apple's Camera Connection Kit (from the Pple Store) to import photos to your ipad from your camera. You can't import documents using the Camera Connection Kit. You'll either need to use iTunes or a third party app (from the app store) to import documents to the iPad.
  • blue4dolphin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    other than via wifi or the internet is there no way a word or simalar document can be transfered to or from the ipad to a mac or pc
  • dwb Level 7 Level 7 (21,045 points)
    The camera kit is designed specifically for photos. It will not let you transfer any other kind of data. To move books, documents, etc, you need to sync with your computer using iTunes, access it via the Internet, or send attached in emails.
  • lllaass Level 10 Level 10 (155,620 points)
    There are apps like FileBrowser that let you look at the file system of your computer wirelessly and transfer files from your computer to the iPad.
  • David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,270 points)
    Illaass, FileBrowser let's you transfer files from the iPad to your computer. And you can transfer files from your computer to the iPad.

What it boils down to... You can be in your living or a coffee shop and transfer files with the iPad. And you can also stream videos from you computer to the iPad.