Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur not avaialble for download?

Why is Big Sur not available for download from Apple?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 3:11 PM

12 replies

Feb 10, 2022 11:33 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, I did click this link. My issue is, I can't see any sign that I could click to start the download. See my screenshot... The only clickable things here are "Mac App Store" that takes me to Monterey page and "Apple" that takes me to Apple App store with only Monterey icon available among all mac OS versions.

My mac is theoretically compatible with Big Sur (MacBook Air 13-inch, early 2015 with Sierra 10.12.6 on it). But when I check for updates through SystemPreferences, it shows No App Updates Available :(. I guess I need to visit a local Apple store here.

Feb 10, 2022 11:54 AM in response to Maulwurf.at

Did you use Safari? Other browsers generally do not work to do this.

If you did use Safari, clear all history, then close Safari. And then it wouldn't be a bad idea to also do a full restart. Then try downloading Big Sur again.

(BTW, since you're only on Sierra, you may have to upgrade to High Sierra first because that's the first version of macOS where APFS became available and there were also significant changes to firmware. Big Sur will require APFS.)

Feb 11, 2022 3:54 AM in response to MartinR

Yes, I used Safari (my only browser at the moment). Emptied Caches, cleared all history, cleaned up my mac, did a restart. No change so far.

Thank you for the advice to upgrade to High Sierra first, that's what I will probably do. However, the description of Big Sur says it can upgrade Sierra. Can my geographical location (outside the US) have something to do with it?

Big Sur not avaialble for download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.