Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory reset didnt work...

I sold my MacBook Air. Before I did that I factory reset my Mac. I followed every instruction provided from the apple article on what to do before selling your Mac. I met with the man I was selling it to, and everything looked fine. When the Mac was opened the screen showed the startup menu you get when you buy a new Mac. BUT later that evening he sent me a picture of the mac-screen, asking what my password were. And it seems after all the factory resetting my useraccount is STILL THERE, even though I watched him make his own. Apple-ID and iCloud are not I think. But still I'm kinda annoyed. What happened here? I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 10:19 AM

It's difficult to say. It sounds as though you did everything right though, with the possible exception of the following:

I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

What do you mean by "and everything"?

The reason for asking is that Step 8 in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support states "After macOS installation is complete, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant. To leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, press Command-Q to shut down instead of continuing setup."

That's where you should stop. Then, the first thing a new owner should encounter upon starting the Mac for the first time is the language selection menu. Was that not it?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 10:19 AM in response to annekrhan

It's difficult to say. It sounds as though you did everything right though, with the possible exception of the following:

I erased everything with disk utilities and re-installed macOS and everything

What do you mean by "and everything"?

The reason for asking is that Step 8 in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support states "After macOS installation is complete, your Mac restarts to a setup assistant. To leave the Mac in an out-of-box state, press Command-Q to shut down instead of continuing setup."

That's where you should stop. Then, the first thing a new owner should encounter upon starting the Mac for the first time is the language selection menu. Was that not it?

Factory reset didnt work...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.