Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Dropping Frames While Speeding Up Videos.

Hi,

I’m using an M1 iMac to edit some of my videos. Is it a problem with my iMac or iMovies?

Thanks.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 2:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 8:34 AM

What are the original frame rates of the clips you are working with, and what is the sped up frame rate? What is the frame rate that is set for your project? I would think that if you sped up a slow frame rate clip you would get what appear to be dropped frames and might give a jerky appearance. That would be normal. If that's the case here I don't think it is a problem with either your Mac or iMovie.

First, to cover the bases, read this help link about changing frame rates.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

Also, go to iMovie/Preferences in the menu at the top of the page and deselect "Apply Slow Motion Automatically". The change will apply to clips added after the change.

Another thing you can try is to adjust the speed with the speed editor. It gives you a better visual adjustment. Expand out your time line with the slider above and to the right of the timeline. Control click on the clip and, from the drop down menu that appears, click on Show Speed Editor. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the upper right corner of the clip. Drag the handle to the left (make the clip shorter) to speed it up, and to the right (make the clip longer) to slow it down. You might be able to toggle it so that the jerkiness is minimized.

If the audio gets squeaky when sped up, you can click on the speed adjustment icon in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen and then select the Preserve Pitch box.

EDIT: You can also try increasing the frame rate of the project and see if that makes a difference.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 8:34 AM in response to jentzen11

What are the original frame rates of the clips you are working with, and what is the sped up frame rate? What is the frame rate that is set for your project? I would think that if you sped up a slow frame rate clip you would get what appear to be dropped frames and might give a jerky appearance. That would be normal. If that's the case here I don't think it is a problem with either your Mac or iMovie.

First, to cover the bases, read this help link about changing frame rates.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6c442b2eb

Also, go to iMovie/Preferences in the menu at the top of the page and deselect "Apply Slow Motion Automatically". The change will apply to clips added after the change.

Another thing you can try is to adjust the speed with the speed editor. It gives you a better visual adjustment. Expand out your time line with the slider above and to the right of the timeline. Control click on the clip and, from the drop down menu that appears, click on Show Speed Editor. That will cause a speed adjustment handle to appear in the upper right corner of the clip. Drag the handle to the left (make the clip shorter) to speed it up, and to the right (make the clip longer) to slow it down. You might be able to toggle it so that the jerkiness is minimized.

If the audio gets squeaky when sped up, you can click on the speed adjustment icon in the toolbar at the upper right of your screen and then select the Preserve Pitch box.

EDIT: You can also try increasing the frame rate of the project and see if that makes a difference.

-- Rich

Jan 20, 2022 6:48 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich! I was working on 4k 60fps clips while I sped them up to 10000%. While I was waiting for you answer, I let the Mac sit idle with iMovie on. When I tried playing back the preview, it didn’t drop frames. When I tried speeding up another clip, it dropped frames again. I found out that after letting your Mac sit for a while (maybe letting it process the clip) it doesn’t drop frames. This happens with my cousin’s Intel iMac too.

iMovie Dropping Frames While Speeding Up Videos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.