Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore iPad and old Apple ID password is required that doesn't exist

I have been trying restore my Mums old iPad to sell it. I have connected it to itunes and gone through the restore and reset but her old Apple ID is still coming up and asking for the password. This Apple ID does not exist anymore, nor does the email that it was associated too so I cannot get past this stage to remove it from the iPad. I seem to be stuck in an impossible loop of not being able to remove the Apple ID from this iPad so I can sell it. Please help!

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:06 PM

Without the Apple ID and Passcode used to set up the iPad, you will not be able to get into it. We cannot help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt. Activation Lock is a theft prevention feature. The only other way into it is the lengthy legal process...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

You can recycle the device at any Apple Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 12:06 PM in response to Bishopsmark

Without the Apple ID and Passcode used to set up the iPad, you will not be able to get into it. We cannot help and Apple will not unless you can produce the original receipt. Activation Lock is a theft prevention feature. The only other way into it is the lengthy legal process...

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

You can recycle the device at any Apple Store.

Jan 19, 2022 12:37 PM in response to Bishopsmark

You are not the first nor will you be the last! As I said, this is a theft prevention feature. If you had lost this iPad, you would be very glad that no one could pick it up and have access to the private data you have on the device. Sorry, but that is the way it is. You have also learned the importance of keeping a list of your sign-ons and passwords.

Trying to restore iPad and old Apple ID password is required that doesn't exist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.