Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air asking for CAC pin even when I don't have the CAC reader connected/CAC inserted

Subject line sums it up well. I sometimes use a CAC reader with CAC on my MacBook Air (M1, 2020) to access my secure work website (military). But sometimes, even when my CAC reader isn't connected, and when I open up my Mac to login, it asks for my PIN (associated with my CAC reader/CAC card), and won't let me log on unless I plug in my CAC reader, insert my CAC card, and put in the pin. This is a pain for obvious reasons. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any fixes? I have no problem with the Mac asking for my pin when my CAC reader and CAC are actively connected, but it makes no sense for it to require my pin when I'm not even using the CAC reader. Thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 9:51 AM

If you have added the account to Internet Accounts or Outlook or have the browser window open and it still has an active Cookie, it can require this. Your best assistance will come from your branch's technology team.

Similar questions

6 replies

MacBook Air asking for CAC pin even when I don't have the CAC reader connected/CAC inserted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.