Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE (1st gen) - battery replacement or buy a new one?

Hello! I have an iPhone SE (1st gen) that I purchased in 2016 or 2017 (I think). It's working fine but the battery is now unreliable. I've had many unexpected and sudden shut-downs.

I was wondering if I should replace the battery or buy a new one. I can't afford the newest models, so I'm thinking of buying an old refurbished one (maybe XR or 11).

My concern is whether it is worth continuing to use SE (1st) by replacing the battery? I know it's ancient but I don't need fancy functions so it would do the job for me. But I'm worried if it won't keep up with the iOS update etc. Is there any risk that it wouldn't be protected or anything in the next few years?

I like the idea of keeping the cost minimum by simply getting a new battery, but if it doesn't last me for another few years then I might as well get a new one - then I can probably get more data on the iphone, which is never a bad thing!

I wondered what other people might do in my situation? Thanks in advance!

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 1:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:28 AM

If you just need it for phone and basic internet stuff then go for it. There might be some power hungry uses that it might not keep up with like some games, but you probably know better if it's not working well for you.

3 replies

iPhone SE (1st gen) - battery replacement or buy a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.