Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CANNOT INSTALL MONTEREY

I get the alert msg that a "required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update".

My Mac:  MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,4

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: MBP114.0184.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.29f24

Serial Number (system): C0***8WL

Hardware UUID: ***

Provisioning UDID: ***

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 5:57 AM

The Monterey upgrade includes a firmware update to the Mac. The firmware update process looks at the internal disk and if a Apple disk puts information on the disk that is used for the firmware update. If no Apple diskthe upgrade to Monterey fails with the message you received but sometimes other messages.

You need to get an Apple disk and install it internally and install Monterey on it. Then you can reinstall the present disk and update that disk to Monterey.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 5:57 AM in response to CapnBuck

The Monterey upgrade includes a firmware update to the Mac. The firmware update process looks at the internal disk and if a Apple disk puts information on the disk that is used for the firmware update. If no Apple diskthe upgrade to Monterey fails with the message you received but sometimes other messages.

You need to get an Apple disk and install it internally and install Monterey on it. Then you can reinstall the present disk and update that disk to Monterey.

CANNOT INSTALL MONTEREY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.