Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2018 Mac Mini bottom half of the display image shacking

This mainly happens to websites like Youtube in Chrome or Excel document. Not always, but after using the machine a while, it will happen. Maximize youtube to full screen solve the issue. Not sure what is wrong? Apple store couldn't find anything.

And not sure if it is related. Sometimes when wake up the machine from sleep, in dual display setup, one of the display would not have any signal. The only solution to fix this is to shut down(restart won't work).

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 12:27 PM

OK that is good info.

FWIW the 2018 can support both displays from the USB-C ports.

see > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Again to help sort out this problem, I would test a different combination of connections.

for example a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or two. see > usb-c to displayport cable

Plus not only is the USB-C to DisplayPort connection more stable than the HDMI connection, but a it is far cheaper than testing another HDMI adapter and cable. see > https://www.amazon.com/uni-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible-More-Gray/dp/B07CL31FR6/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07CL31FR6&th=1

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 12:27 PM in response to sonichanxiao

OK that is good info.

FWIW the 2018 can support both displays from the USB-C ports.

see > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-mini/connect-a-display-apd8e4fbbb97/mac

Again to help sort out this problem, I would test a different combination of connections.

for example a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or two. see > usb-c to displayport cable

Plus not only is the USB-C to DisplayPort connection more stable than the HDMI connection, but a it is far cheaper than testing another HDMI adapter and cable. see > https://www.amazon.com/uni-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible-More-Gray/dp/B07CL31FR6/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07CL31FR6&th=1

Jan 20, 2022 8:46 AM in response to sonichanxiao

sonichanxiao wrote:

Do you mean shaking, flickering or something else?

This mainly happens to websites like Youtube in Chrome or Excel document. Not always, but after using the machine a while, it will happen. Maximize youtube to full screen solve the issue. Not sure what is wrong? Apple store couldn't find anything.

What displays?

The backlighting in that display could be failing.

FWIW I have a Samsung that flickers when it re-wakes are a brief sleep, but then is fine after that.

And not sure if it is related. Sometimes when wake up the machine from sleep, in dual display setup, one of the display would not have any signal. The only solution to fix this is to shut down(restart won't work).

Setup a Hot Corner to "Put Display to Sleep" then when one display fails to light, put the displays back to sleep using the Hot Corner and re-wake them. It will save on Unplugging/Plugging and Shutting Down and Restarting.

Jan 21, 2022 11:43 AM in response to den.thed

Both displays are the same model of Dell.

One connect directly using Belkin HDMI cable from Apple store, I guess that is certified.

The other uses USB-C to HDMI adapter, connects to the other display. All cables and adapter are purchased from Apple store.

Some more info, I have only one display got signal at the moment, the other display connects to Mac, but no signal, in power saving mode.

If I switch the HDMI cables, HDMI1(directly connect to Mac) connects via adapter and HDMI2 (was via adapter) connects to Mac directly now. Display1 which connects to Mac vis Adapter and having video output signal went to power saving mode after the switch, Display2 which connects to Mac directly have the desktop which was on Display1 before the switch now.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.