Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Displace Won't Connect

After updating my Macbook Pro to Monterey, can no longer connect to external dislays using VGA cable and Apple USB-C adapter. Macbook appears to try to switch to external display but fails. My MacBook:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 11:51 AM

After resetting reset theNVRAM and SMC per this thread, the problem was resolved. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253326025?page=2

6 replies

Jan 20, 2022 9:59 AM in response to rhetorician

The Apple adapter says it is good up to 1920 by 1080. If you set the resolution strongly lower, can you get a picture?

Getting a picture on a Mac depends on the display answering query from the Mac with its name and capabilities.

system Preferences > displays ...

... should show the name of the external display and its current resolution, If and only if it is detected.

Jan 20, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The external display is a classroom projector. It displays a statement that no source is connected. My Macbook flickers briefly as if changing to the external display, then flickers back to normal. I have tried multiple classroom projectors, multiple adpaters, and multiple VGA cables, as well as all four outlets on my Macbook. All have had the same result.

External Displace Won't Connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.