Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Apple TV losing Wi-Fi connection

Hello,

Has anyone ever encountered connectivity issues with their Apple TV and Wi-Fi when the router is placed in an adjacent room?

I live in a 1BR apartment and my Apple TV HD (4th Generation) losses connection constantly in my bedroom — Netflix will get extremely pixellated, while other streaming such as Disney+ or HBOMAX will just pause to buffer. My router is in the living room, which is the next room over, and a separate Apple TV 4K in the living room functions perfectly.

I'm assuming the router and internet is functioning correctly — I have no problems with any other devices. The Apple TV itself says it's connected to the Wi-Fi with 5/5 dots (bars). I also ran a speedtest with my MacBook Pro after placing it right next to the problematic Apple TV and it scored a Download: 228.85 Mbps and an Upload: 10.59 Mbps.

Is there anything I should look for or do before I try resetting all the data in that Apple TV?

Here is a photo and quick video of my setup to see if it helps:

And here is a video so you can see the distance between router and Apple TV:

https://youtu.be/lQH6t8gA35k

Thanks

Apple TV HD, tvOS 15

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 11:04 AM

This sounds like a simple issue of not having adequate Wi-Fi signal strength where the Apple TV is located. You can try the following and this sometimes helps, however if the issue is signal strength then you will either need to connect using Ethernet or upgrade your router to a Mesh system to provide wi-fi coverage throughout your home. If you are not familiar with Mesh networking please Google it and you will find MANY article that explain it well. You can then determine if you are a possible candidate.

1. Unplug your modem from its power source and Restart Modem.
  2. Unplug your router from its power source and Restart router.
  3. Unplug Apple TV from Power for 2-3 minutes – re-plug in and retest. 

If you want to measure signal strength please use a tool such as iStumbler (Mac OS) to measure where the Apple TV is located.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 11:04 AM in response to Omar Hernandez

This sounds like a simple issue of not having adequate Wi-Fi signal strength where the Apple TV is located. You can try the following and this sometimes helps, however if the issue is signal strength then you will either need to connect using Ethernet or upgrade your router to a Mesh system to provide wi-fi coverage throughout your home. If you are not familiar with Mesh networking please Google it and you will find MANY article that explain it well. You can then determine if you are a possible candidate.

1. Unplug your modem from its power source and Restart Modem.
  2. Unplug your router from its power source and Restart router.
  3. Unplug Apple TV from Power for 2-3 minutes – re-plug in and retest. 

If you want to measure signal strength please use a tool such as iStumbler (Mac OS) to measure where the Apple TV is located.

Help with Apple TV losing Wi-Fi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.