Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wipe macbook to update software using Time Machine

Hi, I'm using a macbook air 2014. I want to update my OS to Big Sur, but I have no memory.

I have my computer backup in TimeMachine.

Can I wipe my computer completely, update the software, and restore the backup?

If so, how would this be done correctly?

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 10:43 AM

Bortom18 Said:

“Wipe macbook to update software using Time Machine: […]I have my computer backup in TimeMachine. Can I wipe my computer completely, update the software, and restore the backup? If so, how would this be done correctly? Thanks.”

———-

Install the MacOS Anew, then Migrate:

You’d Install the macOS anew, and then migrate certain items back using dMigration Assistant.

1. Restore: From the Time Machine Backup
  2. Migrate: items from your TMB
  3. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Bortom18

Bortom18 Said:

“Wipe macbook to update software using Time Machine: […]I have my computer backup in TimeMachine. Can I wipe my computer completely, update the software, and restore the backup? If so, how would this be done correctly? Thanks.”

———-

Install the MacOS Anew, then Migrate:

You’d Install the macOS anew, and then migrate certain items back using dMigration Assistant.

1. Restore: From the Time Machine Backup
  2. Migrate: items from your TMB
  3. Download then Install: the applications, getting the programs back from the Developers.

Wipe macbook to update software using Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.