Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LogicPro - upgrading from Trial to Full version - will I lose projects?

Hi,

I've been using the Trial version of LogicPro on my new Mac mini (first Apple pc ever).

I am about to purchase the full version but I am unsure about what will happen to my created project files.

The programme has just told me to DELETE the Trial before I can (pay for) and download the Full version.

I'm unsure about what to do.

Am I about to also delete all of the projects and ruin/lose a couple of months' work!

Can somebody please advise/assist?

Thanks.

PS I have 24 hours to sort this (aargh!)

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 10:10 AM

Unless you've been saving your projects somewhere into "Logic Pro X" app package located in /Applications folder (which I doubt), removing the app itself from your system won't remove the project files. Removing / uninstalling software in macOS works a bit differently than in Windows. Basically, what you've been asked is to move "Logic Pro X" app from "Applications" folder to Trash (and then emptying the Trash, of course). That's it, everything else, including your saved project files, should be left intact.

Also, switching from trial to full version doesn't negatively affect projects created while using the trial version, quite the opposite, I should say. As you'll be able to use all built-in software instruments, FX and sound library content without limitations in your projects after you switch.

However, just to be on the safe side, make sure to back up your project files to an external HD / USB drive. Regular backups of your important data to external drives is a good practice, anyway.

Also, a useful tip: before removing the trial version of Logic Pro X app from Applications, right-click on it and choose "Compress Logic pro X" from the drop-down context menu. This will create a ZIP archive of the app package, which you could copy somewhere else on your system HD or to an external drive. If anything goes wrong with Logic Pro X app after switching to full version, you will be able to go back to the previous version of the app just by extracting that archive into Applications folder. This also applies to a situation when you'd want to make a backup copy of the full version of the app (e.g. before updating or upgrading it).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Steeplearningcurve2022

Unless you've been saving your projects somewhere into "Logic Pro X" app package located in /Applications folder (which I doubt), removing the app itself from your system won't remove the project files. Removing / uninstalling software in macOS works a bit differently than in Windows. Basically, what you've been asked is to move "Logic Pro X" app from "Applications" folder to Trash (and then emptying the Trash, of course). That's it, everything else, including your saved project files, should be left intact.

Also, switching from trial to full version doesn't negatively affect projects created while using the trial version, quite the opposite, I should say. As you'll be able to use all built-in software instruments, FX and sound library content without limitations in your projects after you switch.

However, just to be on the safe side, make sure to back up your project files to an external HD / USB drive. Regular backups of your important data to external drives is a good practice, anyway.

Also, a useful tip: before removing the trial version of Logic Pro X app from Applications, right-click on it and choose "Compress Logic pro X" from the drop-down context menu. This will create a ZIP archive of the app package, which you could copy somewhere else on your system HD or to an external drive. If anything goes wrong with Logic Pro X app after switching to full version, you will be able to go back to the previous version of the app just by extracting that archive into Applications folder. This also applies to a situation when you'd want to make a backup copy of the full version of the app (e.g. before updating or upgrading it).

LogicPro - upgrading from Trial to Full version - will I lose projects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.