Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlight feature cannot reliably be undone in Preview app

I enjoy the Mac’s Preview app and use it often for my graphic design business. The annotation features especially are easy to use and much more accessible than in Adobe Acrobat. (For reasons I will never understand, Adobe hides annotation features. ???) Generally, Preview works rather well, but this evening it suddenly highlighted most of the text in a document my client sent me and the undo feature would not work. I had been working on annotating the PDF file, including highlights and text annotations for about 10 minutes before Preview ‘went rogue’ on me. I found the only way to get rid of (most) of the unwanted highlighting was to reselect every text block with the highlight tool. A very cumbersome process, and Preview left funny-looking highlights at the end of each text block, which makes my work look unprofessional. I’d be grateful for any ideas on how to keep this from happening in future.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 1:54 PM

There is a bad bug when highlighting text in a PDF that is stored in the iCloud. The systrejm highlighted 300+ pages and the undo does not work. It destroyed hours of my work. Do not select or allow changes in mass that cannot be undone.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 1, 2022 3:23 PM in response to Cschiro

You can only apply highlights to one PDF at a time in Preview, regardless of whether the document location is on iCloud or the local drive. It does not spray highlights applied to one PDF across multiple opened PDFs in the same session, so it is hard to fathom how you could apply en masse changes to 300 PDFs. There is more to this story than you alude…

Highlight feature cannot reliably be undone in Preview app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.