Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music into iMovie

How do you add songs into iMovie?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 8:44 AM

Are your songs by any chance stored in the cloud? If so, you will need to download them into your physical iTunes library before iMovie will recognize them.

If the above is not your situation, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 8:44 AM in response to solaskisix

Are your songs by any chance stored in the cloud? If so, you will need to download them into your physical iTunes library before iMovie will recognize them.

If the above is not your situation, try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Jan 20, 2022 7:44 PM in response to solaskisix

This online help menu explains the procedure for adding sound tracks into an iMovie project.

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov91a895a64

Songs from Apple Music are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected and cannot be used in iMovie. Songs purchased from iTunes after Year 2009 generally do not have DRM protection and those can be used in iMovie.

-- Rich

Jan 21, 2022 7:09 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks Rich,

I don't believe that this is the issue because I used songs from my iTunes on other iMovie projects around 2017 or 2018. I was following the steps in the online help menu. I don't get a list of songs. I did get two that I just purchased at that moment. Apple may want me to subscribe to Apple Music or something before they will release my songs? I may see if I can get a chat or phone support.

Music into iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.