Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable graphics acceleration in Mac OS Monterey

Is there a way to disable graphics acceleration from loading in normal boot mode? I have an iMac that appears to have a GPU issue and fails to boot in normal mode. I can get it to boot into safe mode and it seems that it is getting hung up on graphics acceleration. This is in Mac OS Monterey so contending with the read-only System volume seems to be the biggest sticking point right now.

Is there a way to boot from an external disk or Internet Recovery or something and then mount the internal System volume as writable so that I can remove the AMD drivers from the /System/Library/Extensions folder?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:37 AM

Revisit the Safe Mode article and work thru each of the steps. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS.

I suspect that there is a third party App set to launch a login that is causing the problem.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/remove-login-items-resolve-startup-problems-mh21210/mac

If not, then test a new user account and/or reinstall macOS.

The graphic's drivers are built into macOS and should not be altered or remover.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 7:37 AM in response to sunnyday42

Revisit the Safe Mode article and work thru each of the steps. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If the issue returns after leaving safe mode, startup items are probably at fault. Apps can install such items in numerous places, and they aren't always easy to find or recognize. For that reason, you should first make sure that you've installed any available updates for your Apple software and third-party apps.

If updating your software doesn't help, try any of these solutions:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.
  • Reinstall macOS.

I suspect that there is a third party App set to launch a login that is causing the problem.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/remove-login-items-resolve-startup-problems-mh21210/mac

If not, then test a new user account and/or reinstall macOS.

The graphic's drivers are built into macOS and should not be altered or remover.

Jan 21, 2022 7:49 AM in response to den.thed

Hi @den.thed, thanks for your reply. I have gone through those steps and determined that the problem exists in normal mode and does not exist in safe mode. I have reinstalled the OS (and tried different versions of the OS) both though Internet Recovery and an external disk. I have tried various user accounts and the peripherals are at a minimum (keyboard and mouse). Also, there was an error message that indicated that the problem is the graphics driver when loading acceleration, so it is fairly clear now (wasn't for quite a while) what is causing the startup issue:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7faba76244): "virtual bool IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine::display_mode_did_change(uint32_t): AMDRadeonAccelerator driver returns false" @IOAccelLegacyDisplayMachine.cpp:267

Panicked task 0xffffff8b7445a6d0: 11 threads: pid 155: WindowServer

As a general principle "The graphic's drivers are built into macOS and should not be altered or removed" is fairly reasonable; however in my specific case, it would be very helpful to be able to alter or remove the driver to both to help solidify certainty that the cause is the AMD driver+GPU hardware and as a fix/workaround to make the computer usable without a logic board replacement. Do you know of a way to do this?

Jan 21, 2022 8:10 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann87 the problem continues to occur on a newly reinstalled OS (with all the APFS volumes deleted and reformatted) with no extra apps installed. Even though drivers have always been integrated into the OS, a user running as root or in Single-User Mode could access and change these files pre-Catalina. Apple made the system volume read-only with Catalina for perceived security benefits, which probably makes sense for most cases. For my specific case, though, it is not helpful.

It seems like there ought to be some way, perhaps with extraordinary methods such as booting into recovery and doing some unmounting/remounting magic in terminal, to get access to that System volume and make a change to the default graphics driver. Do you know if there is a way to do this?

Jan 21, 2022 8:43 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks?

Since the problem appears to be graphic-acceleration-driver + flaky onboard GPU, replacing the logic board may fix the problem and the Apple Store/AASP would be willing to do that for $6-700. Just changing the graphics driver so that it does not load graphics acceleration also will likely fix it without requiring an outlay of cash that probably exceeds the value of the machine.

Loading a different graphics driver is a pretty basic thing to ask of an OS to be able to do. Are you Apple experts really saying Apple's flagship OS is incapable of this task?

Jan 21, 2022 9:13 AM in response to sunnyday42

What I am saying is this is normally not something done by end users and your question is probably out of our league for this forum, this is why I suggested visiting a developers forum. We cannot speak for Apple as we are end users just like you are. Mac OS is not designed to have users download drivers or get into the inner workings of it by end users that is one reason Mac OS is so reliable. You have choices, you can take the computer to your local AASP to check the hardware or continue down the path you are on.

Best of luck.

Jan 21, 2022 9:33 AM in response to rkaufmann87

So, hey, I get that you and den.thed do not know how to do this and I appreciate you saying it is just out of your ken (but that maybe the developers might know). I tried to be very specific in my request for help: how do I disable graphics acceleration in Mac OS Monterey? If you don't know to do it, that is fine - I still appreciate you and den.thed took some time to look at my problem with me. But hopefully there is someone else on this discussion forum who may know how? Are there Apple Engineers/reps that ever comment here? Maybe they would know?

Your suggestion to look at the developer's forum is a pretty good one. I had done some research there before but I went back to a thread I had looked at but not gone far enough on and it seems to perhaps have some more things I could possibly try. If I do find a method, I'll let you both know here to add to the collective knowledge base.

Side note: I don't know that I agree with you on the reliability of Mac OS: seemed probably more reliable before Apple made these changes to make the System volume read-only (e.g. Mojave and prior). Big Sur's reliability is not its strong suit (and I am not sure what is). Monterey seems maybe slightly better, but time will tell.

Disable graphics acceleration in Mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.