Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install OS because of MDM server for your organization returned an unexpected status (500) error

Hi there,

My company was giving away some older Macbooks for personal use. They're a bit old for us to keep in the rotation. I took one of the 13" MBPs. I think it may be a 2015 or 2013 model year. (Has a Magsafe 2, and multiple ports.) This is all above board, and the company knows that I have the laptop.

1. First we erased the internal volume by entering recovery mode.
  2. Then I chose the option to "reinstall MacOS Monterey".
  3. After the installation finished, it then entered the setup process for Monterey: country selection/wifi/accessibility.
  4. After that, I was suprised to see a a "remote management" screen, that said "COMPANY NAME can automatically configure your computer". I suppose that at some point, we were setting up laptops with MDM, although as far as I know, my own work laptop doesn't have this.

After that there was an error that said:

Enrolling with management server failed.

The MDM server for your organization returned an unexpected status (500).

There is no way I can see to get past this screen and get into the OS. I tried re-erasing the internal volume, and reinstalling MacOS a second time, but no luck.

I've found various steps online to try to avoid MDM errors, but they all involve a working OS. I can't actually get into the OS because this MDM error is blocking setup.

I also tried deleting /Library/keychains/apsd.keychain (which I found on a forum). I did this in recovery mode by going into the terminal. I get the same error, and if I restart and go back to recovery mode, the apsd.keychain file is back again.

What can I do to get past this? If I need to ask someone at work to make a change in the MDM software (if they can even still access it!), what exactly do they need to do? The IT person who was around at the time this laptop was probably set-up is not there, and I don't think this is standard practice.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 5:33 PM

So does that mean she needs to log into Apple's device manager to retire it, or log into some 3rd-party mobile device manager? I hope/assume that any logins for these systems would have been recorded; I just need to know what to suggest we look for.

No, it means the person in the company that was responsible for maintaining the MDM account must log into the MDM system and remove the device.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 5:33 PM in response to antunkarlovac

So does that mean she needs to log into Apple's device manager to retire it, or log into some 3rd-party mobile device manager? I hope/assume that any logins for these systems would have been recorded; I just need to know what to suggest we look for.

No, it means the person in the company that was responsible for maintaining the MDM account must log into the MDM system and remove the device.

Jan 21, 2022 11:12 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks for the response.

I've already mentioned this to the person who gave me the laptop, but she is not an IT person herself, and the IT person that was around when it was set-up is no longer with the company. We've since merged with another much larger company, and IT practices are different now.

I need to be able to give her some pointers on what to do, since we may have to hunt around for who has access. What would the MDM system be? Is it on apple.com, or a different provider? If it's a different provider, how could I find out the name of that provider?

Jan 21, 2022 11:16 AM in response to antunkarlovac

There is nothing she can do. The device was registered with Apple's device manager program by the company that purchased it and was being managed using a 3rd party Mobile Device Manager.

If the company no longer has access to that system, the device is effectively a door-stop.

If they were giving them away, at least you're not out anything.

You might be able to sell it on ebay for parts.

Unable to install OS because of MDM server for your organization returned an unexpected status (500) error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.