Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webcam only recognized when plugged directly in

I have a logitech webcam. When I plug the cam into the MacMini directly, it works fine. When I plug it into a hub and then the hub is plugged into the Mac, it is not recognized.

I have the hub plugged into a switch so that I can share the USB devices b/w computers.

What I have tried:

done in order

1. Plugged and replugged the camera into the Mini directly: It works
  2. Moved the camera from the Mini port to a hub that I want to use: Doesn't work
  3. ran system_profiler SPUSBDataType: camera shows up
  4. reboot Mini while plugged into hub: it works
  5. toggle USB Hub b/w computers using the USB switch: camera doesn't work

it seems that to get it to work through the hub I have to reboot then never touch it but that is not useful since I am sharing the camera. This seems like a bug in MacOS but wanted to ask here first

Michael

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 9:42 AM

Thought I would provide an update. The USB situation is still outstanding and I think that I will contact Apple directly on that. As to the camera, the new one arrived today and I have tested it through the hub. it works as I expected it to. The Mini recognizes it when it is plugged into the hub and, when I use the USB switch, the camera is registered when the Mini sees it again so the new camera was the solution for that issue. Thanks to everyone that provided help.

Michael

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Terrafina

Thought I would provide an update. The USB situation is still outstanding and I think that I will contact Apple directly on that. As to the camera, the new one arrived today and I have tested it through the hub. it works as I expected it to. The Mini recognizes it when it is plugged into the hub and, when I use the USB switch, the camera is registered when the Mini sees it again so the new camera was the solution for that issue. Thanks to everyone that provided help.

Michael

Jan 22, 2022 7:25 PM in response to Terrafina

For the USB issue... exhaustive testing and results. Only the camera plugged in the usb power are 3.0 though they are not blue like typical

I have a La Suney usb-c port expansion. with that plugged into the usb-c you can see that it is a mix of USB3.0 and 2.0. That makes sense as the expansion has 2.0 and 3.0 ports on it.

I just plugged in the hub I really want to use and notice that it comes up as 2.0 even though it is a 3.0 plugged into the blue ports on the expansion which should be 3.0. This is the hub that I am using: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/hb30a7ame

Removing the port expansion and plugging the hub in directly I get this

as you can see, it still recognizes the hub as a 2.1 though it should be a 3.0 as it is plugged into the 3.0 bus. While I am not doing any big transfers right now and it works as 2.0, I would like it to be working correctly. This is why it seems to be me like a MacOS bug

Webcam only recognized when plugged directly in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.