Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 4: are there external hard drives?

I have an iMac M1 which, apparently has two Thunderbolt 4 and two USB-C ports. Is there an external disk drive that I can connect to the Thunderbolt ports to run time machine? I can't seem to find much to connect to these ports, but I am new to Mac, having used Dell XPS desktops for many years (and currently wish I'd bought another one instead of this Mac) so I'm appealing to those more experienced.

Also, less important, I bought an Apple USB Superdrive, which doesn't work even with USB-C adapters. Is there any way to make it work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

RFP

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 2:46 PM

You do not need a Thunderbolt 4 drive, any Thunderbolt 3 drive will work just fine. Please study what Thunderbolt 3 and 4 are. I would recommend beginning with Thunderbolt 3 vs Thunderbolt 4 and the M1 Max and M1 Pro Macs (macsales.com). I would also recommend macsales.com Thunderbolt 3 drives, terrific build quality and depending on the drive you select terrific speeds too.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 2:46 PM in response to jackdharma

You do not need a Thunderbolt 4 drive, any Thunderbolt 3 drive will work just fine. Please study what Thunderbolt 3 and 4 are. I would recommend beginning with Thunderbolt 3 vs Thunderbolt 4 and the M1 Max and M1 Pro Macs (macsales.com). I would also recommend macsales.com Thunderbolt 3 drives, terrific build quality and depending on the drive you select terrific speeds too.

Thunderbolt 4: are there external hard drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.