Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display colors bleached out after upgrade to Big Sur on MacMini

Colors on my Macmini with three displays was perfect on Mojave. I upgraded to Big Sur and suddenly colors are bleached out. Calibration, and adjusting contrast and brightness on the monitors doesn't work. Everything looks find in Window 10 via Parrallels so it's clearly an Big Sur issue for me.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 4:41 AM

turns out it was a corrupt accessibility plist file. System was booting with "increased display contrast on" toggled in the system preferences pane, even though the pane itself showed it wasn't selected. Weird. I would have never known had it not been for a display symbol flashing for a millisecond when rebooting. too fast to read what it was. I had to shoot video of it on my phone and then freeze frame the video to read "Increased Display Contrast On" written on the symbol. :)

Posting the solution here incase anyone else runs into this oddity.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 4:41 AM in response to Jolly Blackburn1

turns out it was a corrupt accessibility plist file. System was booting with "increased display contrast on" toggled in the system preferences pane, even though the pane itself showed it wasn't selected. Weird. I would have never known had it not been for a display symbol flashing for a millisecond when rebooting. too fast to read what it was. I had to shoot video of it on my phone and then freeze frame the video to read "Increased Display Contrast On" written on the symbol. :)

Posting the solution here incase anyone else runs into this oddity.

Jan 22, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Jolly Blackburn1

Thanks for sharing what you found.

When folks come here with a bleached out, faded or a colorless display, the first thing that comes to mind is the Accessibility > Display > Display contrast: slider. I would have had you go there and check, but I was sawing logs at 12:33 AM.

To be honest, I'm not savvy enough to point the finger at Windows, Calibration software, Pro Editing software or Big Sur, but it seems to happen more often with some combination of those.

I am however curious about the display symbol that you saw when restarting.

I managed to screen capture the "Increase Display Contrast On/Off" panel on my 2018 Mac Mini running Monterey by manually moving the Display contrast slider.

If that is the symbol that you are seeing at startup, then I would check your User > Login Items for one that is altering the Display contrast at Login.

see > https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/remove-login-items-resolve-startup-problems-mh21210/mac

Display colors bleached out after upgrade to Big Sur on MacMini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.