Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard suddenly stopped working!

Dear Apple Team and Community

I am experience some continuous and irregular problem with my MacBook Pro 13,3 from late 2015.

The problem happened first just about a year ago.

If I remember correctly I was typing something on my computer at the time when my entire keyboard stopped responding and working. It was a sudden change, and I thought the computer had froze or something. I soon realised something was wrong with the keyboard. The strange part was that I hadn’t spilled any liquid on it or kept it in a humid place.

I will remind you that my computer is now 7 years old and works perfectly, the only complaint I have is to (storage space).

After that first incident the keyboard started working again the next day, but then a day or two days later it stopped working again.

Ever since the first incident the keyboard has been acting this way on and off. At the beginning it was just days before it started working back again, but then later it will go 1 week between each time. 

And now….it can go anywhere from 2-5months between each time

It is worth mentioning that the intervals are irregular, the only key that is working is the (power) button. The lights on the keyboard are not on either. There is no sign to any blown, or heated battery either.

so…at the moment I am using an external keyboard with USB receiver plugged in to the computer

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 11:24 AM

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔  How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 11:24 AM in response to BobbyBaxton

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔  How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer. If that does not solve things then-
  4. Finally if none of the above works then you can enter ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS and see if that solves it.

Thats all I have for now. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center or contact ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

Keyboard suddenly stopped working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.