Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What format should I use for new FCP slide show to DVD project?

I want to edit a slide show movie. I have all of the high resolution images. I plan on authoring the project to DVD 16:9 anamorphic with DVD SP. Later I would like to author to 1920 x 1080 HD on Blu-Ray. ( I can't afford Adobe BR authoring software at this time, I want to start with the DVD) I am looking for advice. I want the quality of DVD and future Blu-Ray to be best possible quality. I'm thinking there are two options I might use:

1. Edit the FCP project in HD 1920 x 1080. Use Compressor to convert the sequence to 16:9 anamorphic for DVD SP input. I am thinking I will have the HD sequence ready for the Blu Ray in the future. I like this approach. Is the conversion possible with compressor? What exact format and frame rate should I use for the FCP project?

2. Edit the FCP project in 16:9 Anamorphic. Compress for DVD SP input. I am not fond of this option. I don't look forward to making rectangular pixel images in Photoshop for one. That will be a lot of work for this project. I won't have an HD sequence ready for Blu Ray in future, I will have to start a new project from scratch to make the HD version.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2008 Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2x2.8 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 24 GB 800 MHz, Two SSD Drives, Two Hard Drives

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 12:34 PM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2010 8:57 AM in response to maybenot

Edit in a 1920x1080/30p Pro Res sequence settings.

Export that to a self contained movie current settings, and use which ever SD DVD preset to encode for use in DVD SP.

The self contained movie can eventually be used in Adobe Encore for blu ray authoring.

But having "high resolution" images/photos means nothing in video.

1 dpi is sufficient at 1920x1080 unless you plan to pan and zoom, in which case double the pixel size, not the dpi.

300 dpi produces no better image than 1 dpi.

Nov 15, 2010 8:57 AM in response to David S.

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. That sounds good. I was aware of the photo size requirements as I did searching on the web.

I don't understand why dpi is mentioned, it seems that the width and height measured in pixels of my images to be imported is all that is important. Once I know what my zoom in or out requirement is I can find the required the frame size by simple multiplication.

What format should I use for new FCP slide show to DVD project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.