Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted local Photos library

My local photos library got corrupted. Fortunately, I use iCloud to sync all of my photos across my desktop, laptop, iPad, and iPhone. So while I currently can't open the library to see my photos on my desktop, I can still see everything on all other devices. This is a drag because my desktop library had all of the original files (it became quite a large library at almost 400 GB).

Question: If I create a new (blank) photos library (holding option while opening Photos) and set it as the system library and set it to download originals... Will it do just that, download a copy of everything (thus creating a new copy/version of the corrupted library?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 12:16 PM

That should work, Andy. I have several times repaired my Photos library by downloading it again from iCloud to a new, empty library, by making the new library the System Photos Library and enabling iCloud Photos.

The are two drawbacks:

• All projects will be missing, because the projects are not saved to iCloud.
  • And some of the named faces may be missing. The manually added faces circles do not reliably sync back from iCloud. I had to name some faces again.

On the plus side - it is much faster than restoring the library from Time Machine and uploading it again to iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 12:16 PM in response to andrewfromridgewood

That should work, Andy. I have several times repaired my Photos library by downloading it again from iCloud to a new, empty library, by making the new library the System Photos Library and enabling iCloud Photos.

The are two drawbacks:

• All projects will be missing, because the projects are not saved to iCloud.
  • And some of the named faces may be missing. The manually added faces circles do not reliably sync back from iCloud. I had to name some faces again.

On the plus side - it is much faster than restoring the library from Time Machine and uploading it again to iCloud.

Jan 22, 2022 3:44 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation! I've got a time-machine recovery in process, but you're right this will take a long time. In my case, the progress bar says about 2 days. I'm going to see if that works first so that I can maintain the faces and projects. If it doesn't work, then the backup plan is to start with a new empty library.

Thank you again!

Corrupted local Photos library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.