Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home movies on iMac and external HDD - watching on AppleTV 4k - external HDD list not showing up on AppleTV

How do I resolve above issue ? Thanks in advance

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 6:41 PM

Home movies as you may know are stored in the Home Videos tab in the Apple TV app (transferred from iTunes with macOS Catalina or later) and can be accessed on your Apple TV device. Your question indicates that the streaming of these videos is working to your Apple TV.

Eternal drives will not work in this way. You will require some third party software to stream from a device to the Apple TV. I had success with Air Video HD. You can read the details for yourself here on the web page for the software. To function it requires the Air Video HD app on your iPhone to co-ordinate the streaming and software on your Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 6:41 PM in response to Nirmal245

Home movies as you may know are stored in the Home Videos tab in the Apple TV app (transferred from iTunes with macOS Catalina or later) and can be accessed on your Apple TV device. Your question indicates that the streaming of these videos is working to your Apple TV.

Eternal drives will not work in this way. You will require some third party software to stream from a device to the Apple TV. I had success with Air Video HD. You can read the details for yourself here on the web page for the software. To function it requires the Air Video HD app on your iPhone to co-ordinate the streaming and software on your Mac.

Feb 17, 2022 4:55 PM in response to Nirmal245

Horrible review on that third party app, and you have to buy it to use it?? Apple needs to take the time in producing a video on how to use your external hard drive for your Movie, TV shows, and Music. Funny I've wasted almost a whole week to download almost 2TB of owned/purchased Movies and TV shows, and music to an external hard drive but have to use the Apple tv app to open everything up, some days it works and other days it doesn't. But if I remove the download from my external hard drive then try to play the movie it works. Well What if I'm offline or don't have an Internet connection and I want to watch the movie/TV shows that I've already legally purchase I'm SOL. RIGHT Apple Please fix this issues and please make a video on how to correct the issues too. Thanks to whom ever answers this and makes a detailed video on how too If I could I would and show it to the world bc I like doing things like that. Peace

Home movies on iMac and external HDD - watching on AppleTV 4k - external HDD list not showing up on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.