Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i require antivirus on my new mac book pro?

I have purchased a new mac book pro 14 inch . Does mac requires an Antivirus to install and protect form internet theft ? If yes, which is the best suggestion to install on mac ?

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 7:57 PM

4 replies

Jan 23, 2022 12:31 PM in response to contactkrvineet

Hi contactkrvineet,

The best defence against malware is to use your Mac safely. Certain anti-malware apps can help, but delegating your responsibility to protect your Mac to them is a dangerous idea.

As recommended by Niel, obtain apps only from the Mac App Store or directly from the app developer's website.

John Galt also has some excellent advice in this user tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Jan 23, 2022 2:37 PM in response to contactkrvineet

I have formed this opinion recently ...

Apple takes security of the core-system files so seriously that now core-system files are in a "sealed container" section of the drive. If there was a better idea regarding protection agains software invaders, I would think Apple is already building it into the next mid-release that is due out "soon" (next week, next months, etc).

Do i require antivirus on my new mac book pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.