Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is HiRes audio coming to Apple TV 4K?

I have an ATV4K 2021. I bought it mainly for streaming lossless Apple Music. But this is to my surprise- That Apple TV does not support HiRes audio. Everything gets limited to 24-bit/48KHz. While other devices like Amazon fire TV cube and Nvidia shield are capable of streaming Hi-Rez audio.

And moreover, I couldn’t find any reference on web where Apple says anything about WHETHER APPLE HAS PLAN TO BRING HI-RES SUPPORT TO APPLE TV. Can somebody answer please.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 10:52 AM

What I don’t understand is what the ATV4K has to do with “supporting” sample rates greater than 48kHz anyway… it has no analog outputs. All it needs to do is pass the HD digital audio bits along to the next HDMI device so that when it eventually gets rendered it comes through with all that high res goodness (that most of us can’t discern from 48kHz anyway through our merely decent speakers :-).

Personally, I feel this gripe is much ado about very little. If I’m listening to AirPlay speakers I know they’re receiving/rendering any 96 or 192kHz 24-bit source at no more than 48kHz. Likewise, if I’m listening with the world’s best Bluetooth headphones — 48kHz max!

In the case of high-end HDMI receivers and soundbars that support truly high res (and truly rare as of today) 96/192kHz audio streams, I do question why the ATV4K doesn’t simply pass the bits through in their original state… I suspect there’s a reasonable explanation that’s beyond my level of knowledge. Speaking of my lack of detailed knowledge about all this, here’s a good relevant article by a guy who knows a lot more than I do.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 10:52 AM in response to Urquhart1244

What I don’t understand is what the ATV4K has to do with “supporting” sample rates greater than 48kHz anyway… it has no analog outputs. All it needs to do is pass the HD digital audio bits along to the next HDMI device so that when it eventually gets rendered it comes through with all that high res goodness (that most of us can’t discern from 48kHz anyway through our merely decent speakers :-).

Personally, I feel this gripe is much ado about very little. If I’m listening to AirPlay speakers I know they’re receiving/rendering any 96 or 192kHz 24-bit source at no more than 48kHz. Likewise, if I’m listening with the world’s best Bluetooth headphones — 48kHz max!

In the case of high-end HDMI receivers and soundbars that support truly high res (and truly rare as of today) 96/192kHz audio streams, I do question why the ATV4K doesn’t simply pass the bits through in their original state… I suspect there’s a reasonable explanation that’s beyond my level of knowledge. Speaking of my lack of detailed knowledge about all this, here’s a good relevant article by a guy who knows a lot more than I do.

Jan 22, 2022 9:52 PM in response to kaustuv64

I couldn’t find any reference on web where Apple says anything about whether apple has plan to

No-one here can tell you what Apple’s undisclosed plans for the future are, until they make a public announcement about it.

All we know is the ambiguous language use in the support document, that it may or may not change in the future. “Apple TV 4K currently doesn’t support Hi-Res Lossless (sample rates greater than 48 kHz).”

Is HiRes audio coming to Apple TV 4K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.