Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Number cell format automatically changing

I like to add the text string '2 Nov' in a cell. However this automatically changes the format to Date&Time, which does not have an option to display as 'Day + Abbreviation of month'.

Is there any way to avoid cell format changing to Date&Time when entering a date?

Thank you!

Derek

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 5:31 AM

When I type "2 Nov" into a cell formatted as automatic it stays as "2 Nov" and the cell becomes formatted as a date, which sounds like what you actually want. It is not one of the built-in formats I can choose from but that's what happens here. This is in the US and using version 11.2

You can format the cell(s) as text before entering the "date". Or type an apostrophe at the beginning of the "date", which will format the cell as text for you (and the apostrophe will disappear). Most operations and functions will still interpret it as a date but if you sort the column it will sort as text does.

Or you can create a custom format to display the date the way you want to see it. Pre-format the cells with your custom format.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 5:31 AM in response to derekd123

When I type "2 Nov" into a cell formatted as automatic it stays as "2 Nov" and the cell becomes formatted as a date, which sounds like what you actually want. It is not one of the built-in formats I can choose from but that's what happens here. This is in the US and using version 11.2

You can format the cell(s) as text before entering the "date". Or type an apostrophe at the beginning of the "date", which will format the cell as text for you (and the apostrophe will disappear). Most operations and functions will still interpret it as a date but if you sort the column it will sort as text does.

Or you can create a custom format to display the date the way you want to see it. Pre-format the cells with your custom format.

Number cell format automatically changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.