Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Issues

I'm having issues with Time Machine on my 2017 Macbook Pro running Big Sur OS 11.6. During and/or after a backup, the external drive icon disappears from my desktop and triggers a notice that I need to properly eject the drive or it will cause problems...even though the drive has already unmounted itself and I can't properly eject it. Sometimes it even crashes my computer and triggers a restart.

At first I thought it was a problem with my new OWC Mercury Elite external drive, but I'm now on my second one in a month and the issue still exists. Under Disk Utility it's showing the drive as APFS (Case-sensitive) if that helps. The drive has no ill affect on my computer under normal circumstances, but all goes to crap when I use it for Time Machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 12:57 PM

I switched out the new cable for the one that I used on my old OWC drive for the previous 10 years and that seems to have solved the problem :) It's about half the thickness as the new cable. I'm assuming this slows down the speed, but I'm fine with that.

Similar questions

6 replies

Time Machine Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.