Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Notes not syncing PDF annotations/markup across devices

I've imported PDFs into my Notes and am marking them up in Notes on my iPad. However, the markup doesn't sync when I open the same note on my iMac or iPhone. Other notes sync without problems. When I share the PDF from Notes via AirDrop, the shared PDF does not have the markup, either.

All my devices are up to date, so that's not the issue.

Same thing with markups I've done on the iMac. They don't sync on my other devices, either.

Thoughts?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2022 2:23 AM

I would also appreciate a solution to this. I have precisely the same problem: I import a PDF to a note, open it from within the note on my iPad and mark it up, exit the PDF. My annotations are then visible on the PDF in the note on my iPad, but not on any of my other devices or iCloud. My devices are all up to date and I have tried un-syncing and re-syncing my notes on my iPad, restarting devices etc. This looks very much like a bug that needs fixing.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2022 2:23 AM in response to mamapple

I would also appreciate a solution to this. I have precisely the same problem: I import a PDF to a note, open it from within the note on my iPad and mark it up, exit the PDF. My annotations are then visible on the PDF in the note on my iPad, but not on any of my other devices or iCloud. My devices are all up to date and I have tried un-syncing and re-syncing my notes on my iPad, restarting devices etc. This looks very much like a bug that needs fixing.

Jan 24, 2022 9:33 AM in response to mamapple

Welcome, mamapple!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, the markups that you've completed on your PDFs that have been imported in the Notes app are not syncing correctly with your Mac or iPhone. It's not working on via AirDrop either.

Just to narrow this down, are you marking up the PDFs prior to moving them to the Notes app? Or are you marking them up after they are in the Notes app? We'd like to help narrow this down. Are all devices sharing the same Apple ID and password? We'd want to make sure as noted in this guide: Share your notes on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Kind regards.

Mar 31, 2022 8:46 AM in response to mamapple

I have the same issue. It’s a shame because I’ve used Evernote for many years as Notes was a very basic app way back when. I’ve sworn by Evernote for the longest, but for the first time in years, thought I’d do a check on how Notes has progressed before I renew with Evernote for another year again. PDF markup with cross device access is the #1 feature that is a dealbreaker for me. I did my research on YouTube and got excited finding out you can supposedly do this in Notes. I geared myself up to migrate from Evernote to Notes, but thought I’d do my own tester by marking up a pdf in Notes first and found that this feature is not working and it’s a known bug that Apple isn’t offering a timeline on when it’ll be fixed. Bugs are understandable but it’s a bad sign that Apple have been aware of this important feature for so long and seem nonchalant about it.

I’ll keep checking periodically in the future Sadly though, it looks as though I’ll be renewing with Evernote for another year, unless anyone knows of a likely bug fix date?

Apple Notes not syncing PDF annotations/markup across devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.