Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compatibility

Is my iphone 5s realy too old to work or are they just trying to force me/sell me a new phone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 8:56 PM

Everyone is trying to get people to buy hardware, but I wouldn't say it's any kind of planned obsolescence on the part of Apple any more than Samsung or LG stops support.

But at a certain point all companies stop supporting older products. Computing advances especially quickly.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2022 8:56 PM in response to Bleuj2j

Everyone is trying to get people to buy hardware, but I wouldn't say it's any kind of planned obsolescence on the part of Apple any more than Samsung or LG stops support.

But at a certain point all companies stop supporting older products. Computing advances especially quickly.

Jan 23, 2022 8:00 PM in response to Bleuj2j

Thank you for the timely reply. I currently still use my iphone 3gs and this iphone 5s was ment to replace it. i only need it to function as a phone and was hoping to float for a few more years on the 4g network. It seams that an iphone SE first gen is as old as any carrier will go. Tried and true I always say. Thanks again.

Jan 23, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Bleuj2j

Before we sold my wife's iPhone 5, there was one more update that had to applied before a certain date, or it would no longer be able to communicate with any cellular service. If you're still using your 5s, then it's safe to assume you did this.

But you're talking about a 9 year old device, which for any make or model of computer is considered ancient. Worse for any cellphone since the hardware can't be upgraded, or pushed beyond a certain point of functionality with software updates.

As long as it still works for you, you can keep using it. But you have to also be aware the version of Safari on that phone is way behind on security updates and web standards in general. The version of iOS itself is also far behind on security updates.

compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.