Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible hack via WhatsApp

An hour or so ago, I received a regular text message on my iPhone from a sender using the ID name I had assigned to a friend in my WhatsApp contacts list. It said "Hi. A file's been sent to you. Tap the link below to download it." Then it showed this link: share.vodafone.com.

I immediately contacted my friend in WhatsApp and told her that I thought she had been hacked. However, after doing some research online, I started to wonder if in fact, I was the one who had been hacked. I have WhatsApp on my phone, as well as the computer.

I have searched online extensively and have not yet been able to find any mention of hacking WhatsApp to use iPhone messaging for a further hacking job.

This sounds really convoluted, I know, but if anyone understands what is going on, I would deeply appreciate it if you could help me out.

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 1:55 AM

WhatsApp is not an Apple product. Contact the app developer here --> App Support or WhatsApp FAQ  Or Restoring your chat history - WhatsApp FAQ or Contact WhatsApp

WhatsApp Business is not an Apple product. Contact the app developer here --> Developer Website  or App Support  or WhatsApp business products - WhatsApp FAQ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 10:21 AM in response to Bickerson

I have searched online extensively and have not yet been able to find any mention of hacking WhatsApp to use iPhone messaging for a further hacking job.

In your case WhatsApp is used as a media by scammers to scam you (and many others).

In my region they call that WhatsApp fraud or SMS fraud, a family member or close friend asks you by WhatsApp or SMS to transfer a substantial amount in the short term. However, it turns out that it is not a family member or close acquaintance, but a scammer.

Scammers are often very good at making you believe that they are really your daughter, brother or good friend. They're texting or texting about your kids, your job, or something that happened recently. 

The scammer found your information on the internet. On eBay where you have sold something, or on Facebook or . . . . ..

Are you unsure whether the 'known' person is an unknown person?

* Call the person at the number known to you.

* Ask personal questions that only the acquaintance or family member can know.

Report it to your bank and the police.

See also the following Apple articles:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204759

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204145

Possible hack via WhatsApp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.