Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music App on Mac computer is quieter recently

Has anyone else noticed that since their recent Mac system update, the Music app has been quieter than it used to be?

For example, if I preview an audio file on my computer (by navigating to the file and clicking the play button), the volume will be quite a bit louder as opposed to when I play the song in the Music app.

Very annoying issue. Even if you turn the volume setting (top right hand corner of Music app) all the way up, the songs just aren't as loud as they used to be using the Music App on Mac. I'm finding that I have to turn my speakers up much louder than I used to, even compared to playing songs off Youtube in Safari.

Also, the volume will occasionally "jump" up, especially when you first start playing a song.

Apple, can you please try to fix this bug?

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 8:46 AM

I think I know what you speak of. This is no bug. It is an iTunes feature that survived the great division of 2019. I'm not sure why it even exists, but that's beside the point.

To turn it off, go to Music > Preferences. Go to the "Playback" tab, and uncheck "Sound Check". Your problem should be fixed now.

(Screenshot taken with a blank library, so no one can make fun of my music choices)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 8:46 AM in response to JustinPawluk93

I think I know what you speak of. This is no bug. It is an iTunes feature that survived the great division of 2019. I'm not sure why it even exists, but that's beside the point.

To turn it off, go to Music > Preferences. Go to the "Playback" tab, and uncheck "Sound Check". Your problem should be fixed now.

(Screenshot taken with a blank library, so no one can make fun of my music choices)

Music App on Mac computer is quieter recently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.