Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey

I have tried to update my software to the new macOS Monterey but it wont go through the process of restarting to finish the install and this is making it so I cannot even shut down my computer on my own. How can I fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 1:27 AM

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Delete the existing Monterey install redownload the installer and try again.

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Some users have experienced problems with skipping macOS versions, even from not completely update Big Sur until try to upgrade to Monterey. You say you are at 11.4 so I would update to 11.6.2 before going to Monterey.

Are you using File Vault to encrypt the disk? If so turn it off and then try after the de-encrypting is complete. That can take many hours.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 1:27 AM in response to lizzyc28

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Delete the existing Monterey install redownload the installer and try again.

Do you have enough free disk space?

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, your Mac needs 26GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, your Mac needs up to 44GB of available storage.

Also uninstall any antivirus and "cleaning" apps before trying installing again.

Some users have experienced problems with skipping macOS versions, even from not completely update Big Sur until try to upgrade to Monterey. You say you are at 11.4 so I would update to 11.6.2 before going to Monterey.

Are you using File Vault to encrypt the disk? If so turn it off and then try after the de-encrypting is complete. That can take many hours.

Jan 24, 2022 1:32 AM in response to lizzyc28

Follow the advise from previous posting.

Noticed the user profile is showing Big Sur 11.4.

If above is accurate and true, that might be part of this issue.

Big Sur is not yet fully up to date.

There often times upGrading to Monterey with system that are not Fully up to date.

The current version Released Dec 13, 2021 id Big Sur 11.6.2

macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.