Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New(?) keyboard shortcut for full screen

I've long been familiar with the Control-Command-F keyboard shortcut for toggling an app's Full Screen view, as listed here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236. However, today I noticed Chrome wasn't responding to this shortcut so I checked the View menu, and it showed the shortcut is Fn-F, which isn't listed on the page I linked. Is this new?

It's also inconsistently applied. Firefox only recognizes the Control-Command-F shortcut, while native apps like Finder and TextEdit recognize both Control-Command-F and Fn-F. So this isn't just a third-party app thing. I'm interested in learning any additional details about this that the community can provide.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 7:38 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 23, 2022 8:07 PM in response to abruptdk

abruptdk wrote:

I've long been familiar with the Control-Command-F keyboard shortcut for toggling an app's Full Screen view, as listed here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236. However, today I noticed Chrome wasn't responding to this shortcut so I checked the View menu, and it showed the shortcut is Fn-F, which isn't listed on the page I linked. Is this new?

It's also inconsistently applied. Firefox only recognizes the Control-Command-F shortcut, while native apps like Finder and TextEdit recognize both Control-Command-F and Fn-F. So this isn't just a third-party app thing. I'm interested in learning any additional details about this that the community can provide.

I just always use the green pill button in the upper left of the application window— does that work in your third party app?

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility

Google Chrome Help

Jan 23, 2022 9:29 PM in response to abruptdk

abruptdk wrote:
which isn't listed on the page I linked. Is this new?

My question is has Fn-F always been a keyboard shortcut for toggling Full Screen app view or is this new?

Thanks, but this does not answer my question. I already said I know how to check the View menu for a given app’s keyboard shortcuts in my original post.

If it isn't listed then it is not a huge leap to think it is new. Things are always changing...

I'll see if I can get one of our "Shortcut Experts" involved here to drill down on your academic question to a satisfactory conclusion.

you can submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Jan 23, 2022 9:12 PM in response to abruptdk

abruptdk wrote:

Yes, the green button works consistently systemwide as expected. To be clear, the only third party apps I’m talking about here are Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, so these are not super niche apps. My question is has Fn-F always been a keyboard shortcut for toggling Full Screen app view or is this new?

I can not speak to your third party app Chrome.

I would do what works...

Look at the menu bar for each app >View here you should see the short cut

ex Safari>View>

ex Firefox :

New(?) keyboard shortcut for full screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.