Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos and Time Machine

I am currently uploading my photos on my Mac to iCloud Photos. Once completed I presume my photos will live on iCloud and not on my Mac's hard drive? And if this is the case that my photos will not be backed-up by TimeMachine (because it only backs up stuff on the hard disk)?

But I'm confused. In the Photos app Preferences > iCloud it says "Download Originals to this Mac - store original photos and video on this Mac". If this is ticked then will my high res original photos live both on my Mac and on iCloud? And therefore be backed up by TimeMachine?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 7:01 AM

Hi Icloud syncs libraries between devices (it is not a backup service) - you still keep the full library on the synced devices.

The exception is if you choose "optmise mac storage" and then full size originals are removed from the device. Best not to do this if you have sufficient space, for the backup reason you've mentioned.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 7:01 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Hi Icloud syncs libraries between devices (it is not a backup service) - you still keep the full library on the synced devices.

The exception is if you choose "optmise mac storage" and then full size originals are removed from the device. Best not to do this if you have sufficient space, for the backup reason you've mentioned.

Jan 24, 2022 7:16 AM in response to TonyCollinet

you still keep the full library on the synced devices.

I have space on my Mac hard disk to continue to keep the full size originals. Which will then exist on my hard disk, on my TimeMachine external disk and on iCloud – so should be very safe!

However, I don't have space on my iPhone to keep full size originals. Can I "optimise iPhone storage" space?

Jan 25, 2022 1:50 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I have now uploaded/synched my photos in the Photo app on my Mac with iCloud Photos and can now see them on my other devices.

When I take photos on my iPhone I understand they will automatically synch up to the cloud (when in wifi). I intend to 'optimise iPhone storage', so the original files will not be stored on my iPhone, but in iCloud.

I have ample hard disk space on my Mac and will not 'optimise Mac storage' – so will my original photos taken on my phone, get moved to iCloud, and then synched down to my Mac as well (will the high res original files be on iCloud and on my Mac)?

iCloud Photos and Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.