You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace battery

My battery information now says "Service Battery." The battery is supposedly 100% charged, but the computer won't operate on the battery. Can I change my computer's battery myself? If so, what battery do I need for a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)? Does my serial number play any role in determining what battery I need? I am no longer under any warranty and have no fears about switching out the battery on my own.

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 10:10 AM

Hey There,

Sorry to hear about that. I would recommend in this circumstance to take your laptop to an Apple Store to get your battery replaced, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for a repair. Doing repairs at home if inexperienced can lead to further damage than already done, and with the MacBook Pro 13" not under the soon to be released Apple Self Service Repair kit I would recommend you to take it to an Apple Service Provider or the Apple Store. I hope this answers your question, and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

MacBook Battery Replacement Costs

-DJ

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2022 10:10 AM in response to Need-advice2

Hey There,

Sorry to hear about that. I would recommend in this circumstance to take your laptop to an Apple Store to get your battery replaced, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for a repair. Doing repairs at home if inexperienced can lead to further damage than already done, and with the MacBook Pro 13" not under the soon to be released Apple Self Service Repair kit I would recommend you to take it to an Apple Service Provider or the Apple Store. I hope this answers your question, and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

MacBook Battery Replacement Costs

-DJ

Jan 24, 2022 11:07 AM in response to Need-advice2

and have no fears about switching out the battery on my own.

Oh, you should be very afraid. The battery is glued in place and its removal requires flammable, toxic solvents that I would not store in my worse enemy's garage. Your computer should be new enough for Apple to service see: Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support) --at least check with them. I do not see the 2017 model in that vintage/obsolete list so they should service yours.

You can do a ship-in service with a notebook computer.

If Apple does it, cost is US$200 parts/labor. If a third-party shop, even an Apple Authorized Service Provider, does it, they cannot legally use the needed solvents in a retail environment due to workplace HAZMAT and fire safety regulations and, instead, have to replace the entire upper deck. That is over US$500 parts/labor.

If you ship it to Apple it goes to a specialized Apple refurb facility for service. Cheaper and an order of magnitude better. And warrantied. It you pack it to an Apple Store, they are going to send it to the refurb facility anyway and that will delay the repair turnaround by several days..

There area NO Apple-branded replacement batteries sold as a consumer part. Apple stopped selling notebook batteries as a service part with the Retina models. Any claiming to be "factory original" parts are scams. There are hordes of counterfeit batteries and other repair parts offered as original Apple on auction sites and other places. Apple warns against the problem on their Support home page:

At best these fakes do not work; at worst, they can destroy your computer. Dont't go there!

Jan 24, 2022 5:54 PM in response to Need-advice2

Definitely go with the official Apple battery repair. The quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor. Plus as others have mentioned it is difficult to remove the glued in battery. You risk damaging other parts of the laptop as well as causing a fire if the battery is punctured/damaged during removal. In addition, once you have a third party battery installed, Apple may refuse to repair your laptop in the future (or if Apple would repair it, the price may be much more expensive).

There is a chance your laptop may qualify for the free Battery repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Your laptop may also qualify for a free SSD repair program:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

FYI, here is the current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products such as your laptop have multiple programs):

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Replace battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.