Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iphone 13

can i charge my iphone 13 with an old charger (not one that came with my iphone 8 a million years ago)?

The Verizon folks said it will kill my iphone 13 battery to use an old charging block/cord.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 11:32 AM

Apple encourages use of the old power adapter -- see the following from Buy iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini - Apple

As part of our efforts to reach our environmental goals, iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini do not include a power adapter or EarPods. Included in the box is a USB‑C to Lightning Cable that supports fast charging and is compatible with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports.

We encourage you to re‑use your current USB‑A to Lightning cables, power adapters, and headphones, which are compatible with these iPhone models. But if you need any new Apple power adapters or headphones, they are available for purchase.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 11:32 AM in response to dukie_85

Apple encourages use of the old power adapter -- see the following from Buy iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini - Apple

As part of our efforts to reach our environmental goals, iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini do not include a power adapter or EarPods. Included in the box is a USB‑C to Lightning Cable that supports fast charging and is compatible with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports.

We encourage you to re‑use your current USB‑A to Lightning cables, power adapters, and headphones, which are compatible with these iPhone models. But if you need any new Apple power adapters or headphones, they are available for purchase.

Jan 24, 2022 1:54 PM in response to dukie_85

Actually I don't think Apple is really trying to encourage the sale or more accessories, although they're encouraging the use of newer USB-C power adapters for those who really want faster charging speeds. Most people already have multiple USB-A power adapters. It's also far easier to get reasonably high quality (and even Apple certified) non-Apple power adapters and Lightning cables and Qi charging pads. I can buy a 5-pack of no-name (yet still "Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod" with the Apple trademarked symbol) Lightning cables for less than $10 on Amazon, and while they may not be built to Apple's OEM standards, they're cheap enough that I don't worry if they don't work after a while or even lose them. I'd venture that most people with newer iPhones that were packaged with Lightning to USB-C cables are probably using USB-A adapters either with USB-C to USB-A adapters or inexpensively purchased (or older) Lightning to USB-A cables. USB-A is ubiquitous. I've heard of USB-C public charging ports, but have never actually seen one. I can go to restaurants that have USB-A power ports at the table, and obviously they're extremely common at airports and on commercial aircraft now.

Jan 24, 2022 5:34 PM in response to deggie

Yes, definitely a Verizon move. Several of their employees insisted that the old chargers would “over time greatly reduce the battery life” to only use the latest and greatest for the 13. They were selling each accessory item - case, brick, cable, screen shield, etc. at a very modest $30 each. Much cheaper to go with what you can find on Amazon!

Jan 24, 2022 5:51 PM in response to dukie_85

dukie_85 wrote:
Yes, definitely a Verizon move. Several of their employees insisted that the old chargers would “over time greatly reduce the battery life” to only use the latest and greatest for the 13. They were selling each accessory item - case, brick, cable, screen shield, etc. at a very modest $30 each. Much cheaper to go with what you can find on Amazon!

My bad on the Apple thing. Just kind of used to a lot of complaints here by people who blame Apple for their move to discontinue a power adapter in the box.

I'm used to phone sellers throwing in extras like cables, cases, power banks, power adapters, or just credit towards almost any accessories in the store.

Charging iphone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.