Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync status for Documents folder on MacBook incorrect

Hi - Recently found the "Documents" Folder display in Finder to be constantly displaying the symbol (iCloud with downward arrow) suggesting that some items in this folder have not been downloaded from iCloud.

However, everything currently in the corresponding folder within iCloud has been loaded up to iCloud from the Documents folder on the machine, so cannot see how the software is advising that the Documents folder has items in it that require downloading. I've never used the "Remove Download" option when managing files or storage on the machine I have also applied the "Download Now" option several times for the "Documents" folder and all sub-folders, just to ensure everything is in sync - but to no avail.

Pretty sure this is a glitch, so wondering if there is any advice on how to force the iCloud and MacBook to sync properly. All help / suggestions gratefully received as it is bugging me to see this!

Running a 2021 Intel MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.1

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:05 PM

It appears thats during the Monterey upgrade the iCloud Drive with the Documents & Desktop folders option was enabled. You might also have Optimize Mac Storage enabled so those items that have the iCloud symbol next to them are smaller versions and have to be downloaded before working on them. It's happened to many others when they were given a window to approve it and didn't read it carefully. It almost happened to me.

Go to the System/Apple ID/iCloud preference pane, click on the Options button opposite iCloud

Drive:

and uncheck Documents & Desktop Folders checkbox. In the window that pops up which will look something like this click on "Keep a Copy".

This article describes another method on how to recovery all documents back to your Mac from the iCloud Drive: How to Recover Lost or Deleted iCloud Drive Files or Documents

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 4:05 PM in response to PDS-01

It appears thats during the Monterey upgrade the iCloud Drive with the Documents & Desktop folders option was enabled. You might also have Optimize Mac Storage enabled so those items that have the iCloud symbol next to them are smaller versions and have to be downloaded before working on them. It's happened to many others when they were given a window to approve it and didn't read it carefully. It almost happened to me.

Go to the System/Apple ID/iCloud preference pane, click on the Options button opposite iCloud

Drive:

and uncheck Documents & Desktop Folders checkbox. In the window that pops up which will look something like this click on "Keep a Copy".

This article describes another method on how to recovery all documents back to your Mac from the iCloud Drive: How to Recover Lost or Deleted iCloud Drive Files or Documents

Jan 25, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad - that seems to have done the trick.

I did indeed have the "optimise Mac storage" button checked - I hadn't really expected that it would seek to minimise storage as contents of the documents folder amounts to ~0.25% of my total drive space with the drive itself less than 50% full, but now I know! I much appreciate the assistance.

Sync status for Documents folder on MacBook incorrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.