Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery’s cycle counts

I bought my iPhone12 Pro on April of last year (2021) and since then I’ve had little suspicions that the phone they gave me had some details on various operative, system and hardware aspects. Most recently one of them is that out of nowhere the cycle count of my battery went from 205 (since the last week that I checked) to 605!

Why did this happened? And is it possible for me to go and ask for a new replacement even thought I don’t have apple care?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 6:01 PM

Battery stats are stored in the battery on a diagnostic board with a little bit of non-volatile memory to save things like cycles and estimated remaining capacity (i.e. battery health). There's always the chance that it gets corrupted somehow (maybe the update is interrupted), although it's rare. I had a MacBook that went into an unplanned thermal shutdown, and when it restarted the battery was showing up as service required and (if you can believe it) negative battery capacity, although the cycle count seemed accurate.

It's going to be tough to prove that anything happened unless it's really unusual, and in any case it's out of warranty (plus you don't have AppleCare (plus?). I'm not even sure that a battery service under AppleCare+ can be requested as a covered service if it's showing more than 500 cycle. You should be able to just pay for a new battery service.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2022 6:01 PM in response to Charles_k1

Battery stats are stored in the battery on a diagnostic board with a little bit of non-volatile memory to save things like cycles and estimated remaining capacity (i.e. battery health). There's always the chance that it gets corrupted somehow (maybe the update is interrupted), although it's rare. I had a MacBook that went into an unplanned thermal shutdown, and when it restarted the battery was showing up as service required and (if you can believe it) negative battery capacity, although the cycle count seemed accurate.

It's going to be tough to prove that anything happened unless it's really unusual, and in any case it's out of warranty (plus you don't have AppleCare (plus?). I'm not even sure that a battery service under AppleCare+ can be requested as a covered service if it's showing more than 500 cycle. You should be able to just pay for a new battery service.

Battery’s cycle counts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.