You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Separate payment options in family sharing for each parent

We have Family sharing, I am a "parent" but not organiser, how can I put my own credit card in purchasing, it is greyed out and I can't add it right now

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 2:24 AM

Oddly, I responded just a little while ago to the same query. I'll paste here what I wrote in this thread. I hope it works for you too. It seems your group is set for payments by the organiser:

According to Apple's support documents your Family Sharing group has Shared Purchases turned on. In this mode the organiser is responsible (and billed) for the family purchases.

See How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

If Shared Purchases is turned off each family member is responsible for their own purchases, but cannot share their purchases.

See: Turn off purchase sharing in How to share purchases with your family

1. See your Purchase Sharing settings in Settings on your iPhone or iPad or in System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Turn off purchase sharing:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Stop Purchase Sharing.

On your Mac, click Turn Off, then click Stop Purchase Sharing.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2022 2:24 AM in response to susannemarie

Oddly, I responded just a little while ago to the same query. I'll paste here what I wrote in this thread. I hope it works for you too. It seems your group is set for payments by the organiser:

According to Apple's support documents your Family Sharing group has Shared Purchases turned on. In this mode the organiser is responsible (and billed) for the family purchases.

See How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

If Shared Purchases is turned off each family member is responsible for their own purchases, but cannot share their purchases.

See: Turn off purchase sharing in How to share purchases with your family

1. See your Purchase Sharing settings in Settings on your iPhone or iPad or in System Preferences on your Mac.
  2. Turn off purchase sharing:

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Stop Purchase Sharing.

On your Mac, click Turn Off, then click Stop Purchase Sharing.

Separate payment options in family sharing for each parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.